Wrtten by: Andy Miller
Do you have an upper quarter injury, an injury to your shoulder, elbow, wrist, or hand? A certified hand therapist can help!
A certified hand therapist (CHT) has an advanced level of professional knowledge as it relates to an upper quarter injury or disability. A CHT has a minimum of five years clinical experience and at least 4,000 hours of direct practice in hand therapy. The CHT has successfully passed a comprehensive test of advanced clinical skills and theory in upper quarter rehabilitation (HTCC). The CHT must demonstrate continued professional competence by recertifying every 5 years.
If you are in need of an occupational or physical therapist that specializes in upper quarter injuries (shoulder sprain or strain, rotator cuff pathology, impingement syndrome, total shoulder replacement, brachial plexopathy, tennis elbow, tendonitis, carpal tunnel syndrome, arthritis, fractures, tendon repairs, upper limb amputations, deQuervain’s syndrome, ligament repairs, etc.), contact your local CHT. ProCare Physical Therapy, LP. has a CHT located near you in Roaring Spring to return you to your previous level of function, restore your previous level of independence to perform necessary and routine activities of daily living, return you to work, and/or return you to your leisure/hobby interests/activities.
A CHT loves what they do and are compassionate about improving or restoring the patient’s functional performance and ability to participate in normal everyday tasks/activities.
TOP 10 treatment modalities used by physical and occupational therapists? Treatment modalities are simply methods that therapists use to treat a variety of musculoskeletal and neuromuscular disorders. Therapists can use a vast array of modalities during a therapy session. Therapists can use:
10. LOW LEVEL LASER THERAPY: improves circulation, decreases pain
9. IONTOPHORESIS/PHONOPHORESIS: commonly, a transdermal drug delivery of anti-inflammatory and pain relief medication
8. PARAFFIN BATHS: warm wax providing similar benefits as moist heat.
7. TRACTION: mechanical or manual traction to encourage pain relief and relief of radicular symptoms.
6. WARM WHIRLPOOL: used for wound care, cleansing and/or debridement, improve motion, thermal effects.
5. ULTRASOUND: for thermal benefits, non-thermal benefits, can be used in conjunction with 20% biofreeze.
4. ELECTRICAL STIMULATION: provide pain relief, manage edema, encourage functional use through neuromuscular stimulation
3. ICE PACK/ICE MASSAGE: for pain relief, to manage/decrease edema, to decrease muscle spasms
2. MOIST HEAT (thermal): for pain relief, to promote/accelerate tissue healing,to improve tissue elasticity prior to manual techniques/exercise.
1. HANDS (Massage, myofascial release techniques, passive motion, scar/edema management techniques, joint mobilizations, etc.):
A HANDS ON APPROACH TO ELIMINATE PAIN, RESTORE MOTION, ACCELERATE HEALING THROUGH BODY, MIND, AND SPIRIT!! ASK YOUR THERAPIST IF THEY PROVIDE A HANDS ON APPROACH TO THERAPY…NOT ONLY WILL YOU SENSE THE POWER OF HEALING THROUGH THERAPEUTIC TOUCH, YOU WILL SENSE THE EMPATHY, YOU WILL EXPERIENCE THE PROMOTION OF HEALTH AND WELL-BEING AND, YOU WILL EXPERIENCE AN ACCELERATED REHABILITATION PROGRAM….CHOOSE PROCARE…..BETTER….FASTER!
Andy Miller OT, CHT
ProCare Roaring Spring
7448 Woodbury Pike
Roaring Spring, PA 16673